Sunday, June 20, 2010

Plums!

If you're one of my followers on Twitter then you're aware in recent months I've had the craving for a garden.  Well, to be transparent, I want the produce of a garden without the work and space required to actually have a garden.  So, needless to say, I haven't had a garden.

Or so I thought.

Because look! Plums!

Plums that grew from a tree in my yard that I have, for the last two years, pretty well ignored.  It was there when we moved in and all I've done is keep the suckers from overtaking the place.

So, I don't know if it's that I haven't been home in the middle June since we bought the house or that the tree has not produced fruit before, but I'm going to lean to the latter because my west-neighbors (those whose property line is by the tree and are always working in their yard) never knew we had plums.

And the picture really doesn't do it justice because for the last three days I've collected a bowl twice this size full of plums.  And yes, I'm open to any suggestions for plum jam recipes.

The best part of the plums?  Well, yes, their tangy sweet flavor; but moreover, I finally met and spoke with my east-neighbors.  The neighbors who previously denied our existence.  Apparently they're big fans of garden-grown fruit.  Who knew a basket of plums would be all it would take to finally learn her first name.

2 comments:

Tina L. Hook said...

YUM. I dream of having enough space for a garden one day. I have convinced myself that a really cute gardening hat and accessories is going to make the work feel easier.

Enjoy those plums.

ComplyKated said...

Cute gloves and wellies too :) I mean, you might be playing in the dirt, but baby you got to do it with style!

Post a Comment