Saturday, September 11, 2010

This Doesn't Mean I'll Do the Laundry More

But I believe something along those lines was the thought, and perhaps the reasoning given to LK, for the laundry room redo.

Here's what the laundry room looked like before I started the project.  And yes, Mandy is right when she says most 1756 sqft homes don't have a laundry room like this- it is truly a miracle of storage and design.  And yes, prior to the updating it did look this junky on most days.



Does that place inspire anyone to do laundry?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

But ... what about this?



Since the painting I did for the living room didn't really work with the scale of the wall I had wanted it to go on, I moved it to the laundry room, where it perfectly completed the look.  I had some black and silver hooks to put under the painting for hanging backpacks, but since we are now moving, I decided I like them too much to leave them here so didn't add them and will take then with me instead.


This laundry room has extra little touches too like a built in dog crate.  Since I have a small dog, and I was tired of always stepping over her crate, and I had ample storage space in the laundry room, I created a built in doggy crate inside the cabinetry.  (Please pardon my dirty-Ewok-of-a-dog, she's due for a haircut.)



And notice the black-planter-turned-wrapping-paper-holder. Yup, I was pretty impressed with that idea.


But one of the best extra touches is the motion-sensing light switch.  The door into the house from the garage is at the other end of the room from the light switch and I was tired of walking in the dark to turn on the light when coming inside at night but when I left the light on, knowing I would return after dark, I just felt wasteful.  So the solution was to swap out the old switch with this handy one.  But buyer beware!  I'm totally spoiled now with the light switch and wonder why all the other lights in my house don't automatically turn on and off for me.

Now, I think I have some clothes in the dryer from Thursday....






Linking up to
Photobucket

8 comments:

Nicole Whaley said...

Looks great, Kate. And I love your painting. Man...sure wish they had laundry rooms like this here. You should see ours...if your 'before-laundry' didn't inspire you....ours never would! :)

ComplyKated said...

Yes but you get to have a clothes line. In OK the weather, wind and red dirt make that just not possible, so I imagine that if I could hang clothes on a line then I might do more laundry as well... but that's just probably another excuse for not wanting to do it in the first place.

Gena said...

This laundry room is phat, sick, and DEFINITELY unheard of in an 1800 something sq. foot house. Way to go girl!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I think I'd have trouble selling that house! I can just imagine the rest! The laundry room is awesome!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

WOW! Your laundry room is gorgeous. Love the dark cabs and the new wall color. I think your wall art adds sophistication. We have motion sensor lights in our garages and I LOVE them. Visiting from Stories of a House.

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

What a big difference that black cabinets make! I LOVE the dog spot, too (and the dog is adorable). We also put motion sensors everywhere we can :)

Unknown said...

Such a huge difference in your laundry room! It looks very updated and stylish now. I'm going to have to check out our hardware store for those motion lights.
(I'm visiting from Stories of a House blog link.)

Jen Jensen said...

What an amazing transformation! Plus, I love the dog cubbie :)

Post a Comment